Top Chef Todd

So I’ve been on a little bit of a roll lately in the kitchen.  My usual mid-February craziness hit – with Valentine’s Day and Steph’s birthday in the same week.  And with all that is going on in terms of getting ready for a new baby, getting the house in order, etc, there was no super-duper Coach baby bag this year.  Although I must say I think I was a little more practical. Lately I’ve woken up to nails on a chalkboard, I mean, Dave Mathews Band playing on Steph’s iPhone from the bathroom as she gets ready in the morning.  And I freely admit that I’ve brought the future pain on myself, but I got her a wireless shower speaker that can play her iPhone music while in the shower and while she’s getting ready, and not have to rely on the tiny phone speakers.  So yes, the music in the morning is about to get louder and I know I did it to myself.  But on the other hand I can actually get some use out of it too.
 
But back to my roll in the kitchen.  I describe my kitchen skills as a blue moon or possibly an eclipse.  It doesn’t happen very often, but when it does I try and really step it up.  And in this case of the mid-February craziness, we had three eclipses in a week.  For Valentine’s Day I made Lobster Colorado aka bacon wrapped steak topped with lobster. Asparagus and red peppers, and green salad with cucumber and avocado. And it was very good!  Then, the weekend of Steph’s birthday I teamed up with Katelyn to make bison chili and corn bread, which I’m not going to lie, was pretty darn good.  I found a nice balance to the amount of chili powder to use. When I made it up at the Lake for New Years, it had everyone’s eyes watering and nose running it was so spicy.  On Sunday Katelyn and I made bacon, blue cheese and chive stuffed pork chops, prosciutto wrapped asparagus and ratatouille couscous.  This was so-so.  The chops were tender and juicy, but the blue cheese made it a tad salty.  Combine that with the fact that the prosciutto made the asparagus salty as well, and it was a bit of a downer for the birthday dinner. But I must say, the presentation was awesome!  Then on Monday we had Dinner with the Cousins/Dinner from the Homeland. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to try and do a monthly dinner with the cousins, mainly Steve and Mike since they are the closest, but for others as well that may be around.  So even though we missed January, I was able to get everyone free for a night, which just happened to be the day after Steph’s birthday, which would be the third consecutive night of dinner that didn’t involve a takeout menu or a microwave. I made German Rouladen. And I thought it was pretty good. Better then the pork chops because it wasn’t salted too much, but it did lack a bit of juice.  Basically it is rolled flank steak with stone mustard, onions and a dill pickle spear in the middle.  I browned the meat, then simmered it for about an hour and a half in beef broth.  What I should have done, and will do if I ever make it again, is make sure I pour some of the broth over the meat every 15-20 minutes to keep it even more tender.  Then I went with steamed onions, peppers and asparagus and a green salad.  Bottle of wine, perfect.  So I think the first Dinner with the Cousins/from the Homeland was a success.
 
I have now packed up my knives and will be going back to spaghetti and meat sauce or turkey burgers for awhile.
 
In other news, Katelyn has had three gymnastics meets, and has done well in all of them.  She got her first 9+ at level 9 two weekend ago when she got a 9.2 on the beam.  She took 2nd with that score.  Also, her starting value was only a 9.8, so she only had .6 taken off which is very impressive.
 
Sierra is still limping around pretty good.  She may have to go back to the vet.  It’s tough seeing her limp around so much knowing how fast and agile she was not to long ago.  I thought Bauer was fast, but she dusted him in a straight race.  We’ll see if the anti-inflammatory meds that the vet gave her a few weeks ago help any.  Keeping her locked down so she won’t use her bum leg is tough during the day when we aren’t home, but we’ll see how things progress.
 
Steph’s had a few more baby appointments, and everything is progressing nicely on the pregnancy front.  We are at about 28 weeks, so May is creeping up quickly.  Steph’s nursing friends threw her a shower a couple weeks ago, so the influx of boy clothes has started to build.  Not to mention Kristin was nice enough to pass on Freddy’s baby clothes, so the boy is going to have quit the wardrobe when he enters the world.

Comments