Halloween 2013: The Fall of Good Candy

I was prepared to do a quick post with the kids in their costumes and wish everyone a Happy Halloween, and that’s still happening. But I also thought I’d share my fairly unpopular view of Halloween.

Because TeamKleinheinz was dark last Halloween, I didn’t post a photo. Last year Ellie went as Dr. David Banner, and Lukas went as billionaire, playboy, philanthropist Tony Stark, also known as The Hulk and Iron Man.




The Hulk and Iron Man
This year, the theme continued. And I have to give Ellie a lot of credit, shortly after Halloween last year she picked what she wanted to be, and what she wanted Lukas to be, and she stuck with those choices for a year. So this year, Ellie went as World War II Army Officer Steve Rogers, Lukas as nerdy teenager Peter Parker, better known as Captain America and Spider Man.


Spider Man and Captain America
The kids loved the costumes, although Lukas wasn’t a huge fan of the mask. He didn’t hate it, but I think he just got so hot in it he wanted to take it off frequently.

As has become tradition, we went over to our friends Haydee and Jack’s house for pizza and then out trick-or-treating. House to house, Ellie and Natalee ran collecting plenty of candy to keep Hersey in business for the next couple years. We brought glow sticks for the kids to wear as necklaces and after about 10 houses Lukas found twirling the glowstick much more fun than going door-to-door for candy. We went for a long time, but finally, as you can imagine, Lukas had had enough of walking in the dark, not to mention wasn’t very happy about having to wait to eat the candy. So back to the house we went, drove home and called it another successful Halloween.

Now, allow me to be Deputy Downer. I’m not a fan of Halloween. For me it falls somewhere between Flag Day and Poke-Yourself-In-The-Eye Day. And while this will come as a surprise to absolutely no one, I’m not one for clothes beyond shorts, Hawaiian shirts and flip flops. So the idea of dressing up in costume is painful. So I’m certainly not one to dress up for Halloween, which annoyed my co-workers. Second, the payoff of the night is candy. To witch (see what I did there) I say, “let’s just go to 7-11 and be done with it.” And this year it seems like everyone got the same variety bag of candy. Tons of fun sized chocolate bars, peanut M&Ms, and a few other random chocolate items.

Usually the one saving grace for Halloween is that at the end of the night I can kickback with some Smarties, DOTS, maybe a mini Charlston Chew, or a pack of NERDS, or those mini three packs of sweet tarts. These are the once a year candies that save Halloween for me, and this year ZILCH.

Come on adults!!

There was a mild save on Friday morning, one of my co-workers brought her leftover candy in and there was a piece of Super Bubble. You know the hard as a rock, pink gum that loses flavor after about 4 chews. That’s what I wanted! Thank Mel, you saved me from dropping Halloween behind Poke-Yourself-In-The-Eye Day.

Once a year, that's all, just once a year I want old-time kid candy.




Comments