Summer for a Kid, ROCKS. Summer for a Parent, ROCKY


Summer haircut

No more pencils. No more books. No more teachers’ dirty looks. In the 1980s it was a mantra shouted to the top of the mountains as my classmates and I bounded out of the door of St. Joseph’s School, ready to tackle summer. Every middle of June  brought the same thing, a starting gun setting off 3 months of fun, exploration, no bedtimes, no school uniforms, shorts all day, no shoes ever. Pure fun.

And maybe that’s still the case for kids, but as Father Time reminds me every day, I’m no longer a kid. Summer as a parent is hectic. It’s not 3 months of pure fun, it’s a 3 month countdown until you can send them back to school, ergo, back to a scheduled life.

As I see it, summer hasn’t changed much for kids. It’s filled with swimming with friends, afternoon movies, summer camp, vacations, etc. So every day is a fun day for them, but playing air traffic controller to that schedule leaves me exhausted.



Luck for us St. Justin’s offers summer school and summer camp, complete with weekly field trips that Ellie enjoyed last year and will be doing again this year. The trouble so far this summer was the week between regular school ending and summer school beginning. Trust me, the thought of, “how old does she have to be to stay home by herself” did cross my mind more than once. We found a sports camp at Mitty High School, so we signed her up for that. And as it turns out she’s loving it. Problem is, it’s only half day. So where to send her and what to do with her the other half of the day. Add on the fact that her softball team has practice 4 days a week, plus tournaments every couple weekends, and the 24 hours in a day quickly evaporate.

Last night I went to bed at 9:00 p.m. Put into perspective I’m usually still surfing the internet or watching TV around midnight. So going to bed and falling asleep at 9 is a perfect illustration of how tiring summer is already.

So my question of the day is, how many days until school starts again?

Herbie and Flo with all 5 of their Great Grand kids

Comments