Lake Placid: Day 3 Speed Racer

Day 3 of the Luge Screening Clinic was very much like the first couple. I woke up and it was snowing, it took forever to scrap ice off the car -- I'm starting to look at people who choose to live like this all the time a little sideways -- watch Ellie for a few seconds (if you saw the last post with the videos you'll know what I'm talking about).

No flip flops today

One difference is they started their sled runs from farther up the hill, and they did their own pull-starts. During one of Ellie's runs, they announced the time, not sure why they announced hers, but they did. One of the moms, who was formerly on the US National Luge Team, looked at me and said, "that's good. She went pretty fast." I nodded politely, I have no idea. I'm such a novice at this sport! She then did something on her iPhone and came over to me. "She topped out at 44 mph." Now that's information that translates.

They didn't announce all the times, so I have no idea how that speed measured up against anyone else but she was very excited about her runs. She made sure to point out that on two of her runs, including the one where she was clocked at 44 mph, she didn't hit any of the walls (and some did. Last video below.).

Ellie on the straightaway.

Ellie on the final curve

Some of the sledders banged into the walls.

Comments