The End of a Softball Era

Each year that I've coached has been special. 

There is always the girl who comes out of nowhere to surprise you. There is always a first hit, a first home run, a first time pitching. 

But there is also a last. This summer was the last time I'd stand in the dugout as the manager of the Sparks. It was the last time Ellie would wear her Sparks jersey; also the last time for Liv, who has become just as big a part of my coaching life. 

I told the story at the end of the year party, but Olivia was the leadoff batter in the very first softball game I every coached. She was super fast and if she made contact she was just gonna keep running (and many times she just never stopped, even at the bases). And she was the leadoff batter in my very last game. Still just as fast, still running through stop signs, and still just as fun to watch.

It's a time that was so, so special. I'll no doubt be telling these stories in the old folks home. And I'm sure Cesar will be there to put his own funny spin on them.

I posted this early in softball season, and I enjoyed it up until the very last out, of the very last game. The fact that the last game was in San Diego at the State Games was an added bonus.



Olivia was the very first batter I every wrote on a lineup card back when they were 7.
She contributed to my gray hair, but made me a better coach.
The spunky little player who started with the Pink Thunder transformed into the beast known as #99.
Sharing all those years have been some of the most specials times of my life!

Comments