Lake Placid: Travel Day. Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Getting to Lake Placid isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Certainly not a straight shot, but after some investigating the trip was planned.

Ellie and I would fly from San Jose, through Detroit, and into Burlington, Vermont. Burlington, Albany and Montreal, Canada are all about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive to Lake Placid. Times and schedules worked best going into Burlington, so Vermont it was.

We got delayed about 25 minutes in the air due to some strong headwinds, which made for a tight connection in Detroit, but we made it.

I will say Delta didn't start off on my good side. I booked their coach fares through Expedia, but soon found out that those fares don't let you sit with who you are flying with unless you upgrade. So I called Delta, told them I was flying with my daughter, who was a minor and wanted to find out if they could seat us together. They said I'd have to do that the day of at the gate. Then I asked if I could simply do the upgrade to make sure we were together, they said no. The flight I got was no changes or upgrades. So they were not on my good side to say the least.

They did redeem themselves a bit. When we got to the gate, early, they had us sitting together on both the flight to Detroit, and the flight to Burlington. They had free wifi and plenty of entertainment options in the TV screen in the seat back right in front of you, so Ellie watched a few movies and I watched some NFL football since we left on a Sunday. The connecting flight didn't have those nice amenities. It was a small plane, 2 seats on one side, 1 seat on the other side of the aisle, no entertainment, no WiFi. But it was only an hour flight, so iPhone games it was.

But backing up to our flight to Detroit, someone got stuck in the bathroom when the lock broke on the inside, so they couldn't unlock the door. The guy was stuck in there for almost 2 hours while the flight attendants and some passengers tried to MacGyver the door open, before finding the biggest guy on the plane and asking him to literally rip the door off the hinges. Finally the guy was free, but it was a bit of unforeseen entertainment.

When we landed in Vermont, because we were on one of the smaller planes, they didn't have a bridge that we would exit onto, so we walked down the stairs of the plane and into the terminal. Ellie said she felt famous because of how she exited.

5 minute drive to our hotel, and that was our travel day.

San Jose to Detroit. Man trapped in bathroom
behind us.
We arrived late into Detroit, lucky for us
they had a shuttle train to our gate. 
Flying over the Rockies
Ellie said she felt famous because she
exited the plane by the stairs




Yep, Maple Syrup in Vermont







Comments